View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Optimum Red-Zone Strategy - Poker Stove Help

I've been playing with Poker Stove to see if Harrington's general starting hand requirements to go All-in in the red zone when first to act are optimum. Assuming middle position, I've come up with the following starting hands:
All pairs (AA-22), All Axs (AKs-A2s), AK-A4, KTs, KJs, KQs and KQ. If I'm using poker Stove correctly, these starting hands should occur 20.4% of the time. If you assume that you are first to act approximately 50% of the time from mid-position, this would have you going all-in around 10% of the time, this sounds about right. According to Poker-Stove, these starting hands have an equity of 41.65% when I run them against a typical (loose) calling hand range (AA-77, AKs-AJs, AK-AJ, KQs, KQo & KJs). When I run what I believe is Harrington's starting hand requirements for the same situation in the red-zone (AA-44, AKs-A7s, AK-A8, KQs-K9s, KQ-KT, QJ-QT,QJs-Q9s, JTs & JT) against the same calling range above, I get an equity of 41.3% with the same 20.4% occurance. I was only able to find a slight equity improvement with the alternative starting hands. The starting hands are quite different however (more small pairs and Ax hands). Can anyone confirm that I am utilizing Poker-Stove correctly? Also any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks