View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Controversy over symbols and racism .

my estimate had nothing to do with racism, it had to do with the reasoning behind people flying the flag.

if you are an intelligent, informed individual who flies the confederate flag because you believe that it was a proud moment in your regions history because they were standing up to opressors who had no right to try to take away a states' agreed upon rights then I can't really complain. you are celebrating doing what you thought was a correct decision at the time (seceding) and are making a statement regarding the preservation of states rights vs a power hungry federal govt.

i can't object to someone with that stance and belief system, regardless of my personal beliefs. i have to respect a well thought out support of states' rights.

however, i believe that 5% (or less) of the people who are flying that flag today have gone through that line of thinking and come to this conclusion. as I said, it is an estimate simply based on common sense and the lack of informed individuals in our society today.

does that make more sense?