View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Near the end of my brief Online career -Whine

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the $95 BR, I don't really look at it like that. I played break-even poker and cleared the $190 bonus. So my problems actually started when I had nearly a $300 BR...not optimal for 1/2, but seemed to be adequate.

I think a 150 BB downturn is significant.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 150 BB downturn IS significant.

The problem is that as soon as you cleared the bonus, you should have dropped back down to .5/1 because that is the highest level your bankroll can afford.

Then, if you had hit a 150BB downturn, you would still have $150 - at which point you would then drop again down to .25/.5.

But because you did not properly manage your bankroll, you now find yourself forced to play .10/.20.

I started with $150 playing at .25/.5 - I got up to $300 and then took out my original $150 and stayed at .25/.5 - then got up to about $400 and went up to .5/1 - now I am back down to about $200 after cashing out another $80 (so about a 120BB downturn) and I am dropping back down to .25/.5.

The thing to keep in mind is that poker is a life-long endeavour - its not like you have to retire at 35. So play it that way.

Bankroll dictates level - this is the best way to play because it forces you to WIN your way to higher levels - and as such, you will tend to find yourself at the level that approximates your level of skill.