View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Controversy over symbols and racism .

In response to the OP and in an effort to "get back on track"...

First of all, the cactaur image is hilarious. I think it clearly exists for entertainment purposes and I can't imagine too many people getting bent out of shape about it. This doesn't really have anything to do with my arguement; I just think it's not the best of examples.

The confederate flag, on the other hand, is a different story. The confederate flag is alot like a popped collar. There's nothing about a popped collar that has anything to do with being a tool. However, lots of people that happen to be gigantic tools pop their collars cause they think it looks sweet or whatever; I can't really say. My dad pops his collar in the summer months when he goes outside so his neck doesn't get sunburned. Do people think he's a tool? I don't know; probably not because he's an old guy, but say that I popped my collar to keep my neck from getting sunburned. Would people look at me and be like, "omg, tool."? Yes. Yes, they would.

Anyway, I think my point is completely lost at this point, but what I'm trying to say is that people may do something for a certain reason, but it's up to everyone else to figure out what that reason is. If someone flies the confederate flag to display their southern pride and someone else immediately interprets that as a racist action, that's simply a miscommunication as a result of both parties' differing past experiences in dealing with the confederate flag. It's all about context and I think everyone can agree on this.

*Edited because I'm anal about wording.