View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Would you kill a man who\'s robbing you? (long)

A man within 30 feet of you with a bandana over his face and a knife in his hand is clearly a direct and immediate threat to your life. Shoot for the upper body. This is not about protecting a Gamecube; it is about surviving. Fortunately, this situation had the best possible result for the OP, survival. But if you have a gun under the pillow and he's approaching you with a knife, the correct thing to do is immediately shoot him. You are trying to stop him, not trying to kill him. If he dies from the gunshot, sorry about his luck, but he brought that upon himself.

I read about two pages of responses but stopped when I couldn't take reading any more of the idiotic things people were saying. People who know nothing about guns saying "kneecap him." People who know nothing about knives saying, "it's just a knife." People saying "just threaten to shoot him," ignoring the fact of how quickly an attacker can run 10 feet and cut you up. People saying "armed thieves hardly every hurt their victims;" but you don't know if this is one of those times when the thief will attack. This is about protecting your life. Amazing that so many here put no thought into a near death experience situation and then just blurt out something utterly stupid.

I want to congratulate the OP on surviving this situation. You handled it the best way possible, since you were unarmed, and you achieved the best possible result, survival.