View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Thank God for Roosevelt thru Bush 41

[ QUOTE ]
chaos is the inevitable result of anarchy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The largest, most destructive instances of chaos I can think of were all results of government action.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that the anarchist's idealism clouds his vision on what would happen were there no real consequences in the form of laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get the idea that anarchy means the lack of consequences or order?

[ QUOTE ]
Governments make such institutions as banks and military possible. The reason that we do not kill each other and rob banks is because we fear the punishment that would be bestowed upon us by the government.

[/ QUOTE ]

People make banks possible. The fact that governments have given themselves monopolies on enforcement does not in any way prove that they are the only method that such enforcement could be provided.

[ QUOTE ]
We fear the government because it is the most powerful entity we can immediately observe. The government, since it has the power to do so, makes various rules, and if we do not obey them, then we are punished.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. This is your argument *for* statism? Sounds wonderful.

[ QUOTE ]
This goes for all types of governemnts, including Democracies, where we willingly give the government the power to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's "we"?

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, if there is no governemnt, and we had the responsibility ourselves, then there would not longer be a strongest entity. What that would lead to is internal wars among the citizens, until one person or group is the most powerful, and he/they would then be the government.

[/ QUOTE ]

This assumes every man would fight for ultimate domination or nothing. No cooperation is possible without government? Come on.

[ QUOTE ]
With no government, there is constant fear of being killed, and constant battle with everybody else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody gets killed when there's government? I don't know how many wars have been started by individuals, but I'm pretty sure the number is extremely small.

[ QUOTE ]
Governemnts are created by the people, which means at one point, there was a state of anarchy. If anarchy is such a good thing, then why would the people have created governemnts in the first place? It is because they saw the need for a central authorityo to protect them from being slaughtered.

[/ QUOTE ]

*Some* people did.

[ QUOTE ]
Bank robbery is not a good thing, not because it is "wrong" to rob banks, but because we will be thrown in prison or killed by the people that make the banks possible. Therefore, robbing banks is -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. The status quo is always correct by virtue of the fact that it is the status quo. This is really amazing stuff.