View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: ($60) sure, NOW i get JJ

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno...I think this is where ICM becomes very important and where the correct play shocks your intuition. There are some stack distributions where doubling up is clearly correct and some where playing for third is clearly correct. This, in mind, leans toward the latter.

[/ QUOTE ]

But we're not even talking about responding to a raise. Just an UTG limp. And the shortstack is not SO short that he is no threat to catch up with you.

So, say you call (now we're down to 1570) and fold to an over on the flop. Shorty doubles up once, he's got ~1340 chips. Our lead on him is almost gone.

By pushing, you're playing for 1st AND simultaneously playing to ITM. I'd never forgive myself if I played this hand weakly and ended up not finishing ITM.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never forgive myself for whatever the disaster "flavor of the month" is. Whether its playing it weakly and then losing 4th to shorty, or, playing too agressively and letting a sht stack sneak ITM when it was unnecessary. Being in this spot and finishing 4th is always a heartbreak and no matter which way you utlimately lose, you'll second guess yourself. I guess, the argument is with you because "taking matters into your own hands" is always better then sitting back and letting things happen to you. There are times where both are correct. This is close and I wouldnt fault anyone for playing it either way.