View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: buying an elliptical

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I bet 'inside?' wows the agorophobic myspace chicks.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out this thread on women using kettlebells to get strong and fit. I like them a lot, as they are very versatile and don't bore the crap out of me like using weights does.

kettlebell thread

The lady who wrote this particular post is about your weight, and finding that lifting kettlebells is opening her up to realizing how strong she can be. That's the kind of thing that keeps you going so much better than just wanting to look better. Eventually she'll get in shape just by pursuing the cool ways she can get physically stronger and the new goals she's accomplishing, rather than making losing weight a primary focus.

I'd recommend kettlebells and clubbells highly. They involve a good deal of skill and are fun to master and challenge yourself with. I started with the 35 pound kettlebell and am now pressing the 70 pound one easily. KB's being off balance makes them a real challenge to master. If they were dumbbells they would have bored me and gotten forgotten in a corner eventually. Women of course will start with a lighter weight than 35 pounds.

Clubbells are very good too, and work a whole lot on your coordination and control.

Clubbell site

I'm saving up for some of those, too. You can swing kettlebells around too, but with clubbells you can do complicated swings in different patterns, even like a dance if you want to, and get tremendous benefits in flexibility and coordination.

Both tools are really great and worth considering. And both cost a lot less than an elliptical, are much much better for you, and are more flexible by far, too.