View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: River bet - AK unimproved

I was talking with Schneids last night about what has become the "dreamclown" HU strategy. Which entails just calling HU OOP with any hand and c/ring a lot of flops, the goal of which relies on playing small pots oop and getting opponents to give up cuz they're small but a decent player should be able to counter this.

I mean, I didnt think it was an optimal strategy and he didnt think it was optimal. It works against some players but we thought it was supoptimal against good players and ppl willing to play back at u preflop. Im tired but here are some points I can remmeber:

A good player should be able to take away your edge by making you feel uncomfortable about trying to c/r on the flop in a tiny pot with both, [censored] and decent hands.

All a good player has to do is raise more hand preflop (no fear of a 3bet or flop donk), 3bet more lightly on the flop (at an optimum frequency between big hands, draws and rags), check flop more liberally, wait-to-raise or bluff-raise turn more if you bluff bet the turn often if the flop is checked behind.

Not to mention against someone fighting your strategy well it makes his hands even more deceptive for u to read...obviously at the same time u have a guy bet/3betting u lighter, but at an optimum frequency it cannot always be a longterm winner to call him down. Not to mention with no fear of a preflop 3bet and flop donk he can check the flop pretty liberally and see four cards just about any time for minimal investemtn w/ no fear of it ever costing him more than what he WANTS to put in. I also belive if u are not careful he can force u into some big mistakes.

I think there are better ways for deception instead of just always getting the minimum value preflop (especially against players that will pump pots with you before the flop), allowing them greater postflop flexibility, and allowing them to make their own mistakes at their judgement, not yours.

At least there are not many good players out there, but they are around and I think entail a different strategy, although this one may work for a session or so, but they should be able to adapt eventually. I dont know, it seems to work for Dreamclown, the guy just does not change gears OOP, I think alot of its success has to be due to failure for players to adapt. Dunno. Anyway sums up what was mentioned.