View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 10:07 PM

Default A4s, good and bad flops

Here are two hands where I have A4s. Please comment on the post flop play first, rather than whether I should play these hands or fold them pf (I want to discuss that as well, but after). First hand, Villain is 15/9/1 over 160 hands. I don't connect at all on FD but hit the A, which is not helpful, as I am against a PF raiser and don't know if my A is good. I know just calling to SD can't be good and I don't want to fold on the flop as PF raiser could easily have any pkt pair 99 to KK as well as a strong A so I raise intending to re evaluate on the turn.
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed)
[b]Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
2 folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, 2 folds, SB raises, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

[b]Flop: (8 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)
SB bets, BB folds, Hero raises, MP2 calls, SB 3-bets, Hero calls, MP2 calls.
Not happy with the villain 3 bet or MP2 calling so will fold turn UI
Turn: (8.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB bets, Hero folds, MP2 folds.
Other than folding PF, is there another line that makes more sense.

Second hand, again I have A4s, this time I get a very favorable flop, get my FD and a gutshot. I think my line makes sense, but would appreciate comments. Villain is 17/11/2.25 over 110 hands
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
3 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, CO raises, 2 folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets, BB calls, Hero raises, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, CO calls, BB folds.

River: (8.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.20 BB

I was pretty sure I was beat here, but had to play for 1 more bet, but I was right as villain turned over AJ.
As far as pre flop, as it is, I don't play a lot of hands (I am 18/8 pf over 30K hands). I play Party 5/10 and it certainly isn't like Miller talks about in SSHE. In general, at most 3 to 4 players see the flop, and quite often, if you limp in EP or MP, you get raised by a LP more often than not. So low Axs is not a very good hand to play in EP or even MP. However, if I don't play those, and if I also don't play low pp with no limpers before me and K9s, K8s and Q9s are also low EV from MP with no previous limpers and a good chance of getting isolated, I'm going to be playing 12 to 13% pf which has to be too low. Any suggestions.