View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Job That Couples Well w/ Online Poker On The Side?

[ QUOTE ]
When I substitute teach other teachers always ask me what else I do because they know I can't make a living at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why you can't just tell them you play poker.
Most people will think it's "cool" anyway.

I was a bit bashful about talking about what I did for a living amongst mostly strangers.
I would say something that sounded pretty lame like 'work from home on computers' or something vague like that.

This was what I told guys on my rec-league soccer teams when I was asked.
The next season when I was asked i just said, "This will sound kind of silly...but I actually play poker for a living..mostly on the internet" and most of the responses were "doesn't sound silly at all. I used to play a lot when I was in the Navy..." (etc etc).

Would there be some kind of moral deal about telling the other teachers?? Or is it just kind of awkward to speak about something like that??

FWIW - If I went back to my hometown for a reunion or something and met up with my former math/science teachers I would have no problem telling them what I do.
I was the top player on our chess team and considered to be pretty smart in my math classes so none of them would be surprised and I suspect many of them would find it very interesting.

There are a couple of math teachers I had who would certainly laugh to learn how some of the things I learned in their classes apply to how I make my living.