View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: A 2-Hour Experiment in Folding

OK, a bunch of hands, and they seem to be similar situations.

1 - KK, well, I would probably pay off here, but he has played the hand like a flush draw, or even more like a straight draw, maybe he had 98. But I think that the possibility that a player as loose and aggressive as this one had somethinkg like KQ, AQ, or Q9, and decided to take one last shot on the river is good enough that calling down is probably better than folding.

2, 3, 4- This player is slightly loose, and slightly passive postflop. I think his postflop raises are meaningful, and I like the laydowns against this type of player. Although, I probably pay off the third time, in case he has learned that popping me on the river might get him the pot.

5 - If he checkraises, I fold, but when he bets out, I pay him off.

6 - You could maybe fold the turn, but I think that you absolutely have to call one more small bet to see if you spike a queen. I would probably play as long as I could for one bet, and as long as a 9 didn't come off, which I suspect the other player is chasing.

7 - Big aces are probably well within this players 3 bet range preflop. I would just check/call all the way to the river. It would cost you one more big bet than playing it the way that you did, and you would get to see a showdown. Seeing as how he has a 2.5 AF, I don't see him checking behind you regardless of what he has. By the way, wouldn't you like to see PT give you a statistic that tells you how often he threebets when he has the opportunity?

8 - If you lost to aces or AJ here, I would have probably found a way to lose at least one more bet.

9 - I might be making a mistake, but I don't fold top pair to anyone with an AF of 3.

10 - Similarly, I try not to call down players with AF's below 1 when there are a lot of hands that beat me.

11 - Just reading all these hands where you have to make these ugly decisions has almost put me on tilt [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. If this really was the 11th hand that I faced an ugly raise in a couple of hours, I would overcall, and after I lost, turn the computer off. At the same time, I do think you are drawing to 2 outs, and quite possibly 1 to a chop here. I think that a fold is probably the best decision.