View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Standard Ante rates, questions.

I'm a newbie to 7CS. Heck, I've only played three hands at a real money table because I wasn't exactly sure how the betting structure worked.

Another post for micro-limit 7CS/8 listed the ante as the same amount as the bring-in. This seems incredibly high, with a cost of 25BB/100 hands just to play. Compared this to HE, where at a full micro-limit .5/1 table you can be expected to pay around 15BB/100 hands in forced blinds, sometimes a bit more, but not much. At a full (10-handed) table, I'd say it's probably not more than 17BB/100. The high ante for this particular .5/1 7CS game would make it equivalent to a .5/1 HE game with a small blind of about $.83 and a big blind of $1.66, assuming a full game.

A different site has an ante which works out to 10BB/100, which seems like an incredible deal for a new player.

I don't have Mason's Poker Essays, which I've heard discusses this topic in some detail. I'll be getting them soon enough, but between 7CSFAP and SS2 (my two new books), I won't be getting this one for a month or so. It has moved to the top of my list, however. I do have a few questions regarding the Ante, and online 7CS in general.

1. What is the "standard" ante for a game? Certainly there must be some barometer for a "high" and "low" ante.

2. Is there a site that lists (ala bonuswhores) the antes for multiple online sites? If not, I'd be willing to throw something like this together, along with a "grade", and possibly some game availibility ratings. I might require some input from the experienced 7CS posters here.

3. Is the .5/1 game with the .25 ante and .25 bring-in even worth playing? It's micro-limit, so the players are probably terrible, but the ante is so high that you can't afford to play tight enough to beat them in the long-term. Seems like a crapshoot to me.

4. Is the .5/1 game with a .10 ante a great game where a newbie can sit back and play extra tight, in order to gain some experience? Are there better games at this limit if I look?