View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Addiction is a disease? (My experience)

Thanks for the fabulous post,

I'm sorry to hear about your miserable experience with alcohol dependence. You do an excellent job articulating the misery of physical dependence on alcohol. And yes, there exists a distinction between psychological addiction, physical addiction, and simply being intoxicated and acting deviant. As you mentioned, cold turkey withdrawl from alcohol can be extremely unpleasant, dangerous and possibly fatal. It's harder to stay clean from a drug when you become physically ill without it. Obviously, medical treatment is warranted.

I laud your efforts at staying clean. Also, my experience with twelve-step groups (including AA) parellels yours. I just couldn't get around the all-important higher power element of the program. One man suggested I make my car my higher power! I'm an agnostic and found it impossible to believe a higher power could "restore me to sanity." The logic of the twelve steps seems dubious at best. I'm supposed to hold the position of absolute powerless while believing I have the power to stop with the help of some nebulous higher power. It just doesn't logically follow. The twelve steps seem steeped in Christianity and I think it probably has better utility for a religious person.

I do think some heavy alcohol abusers can moderate their drinking, even after being detoxed for physical addiction. Furthermore, I think many treatment programs get blasted unfairly for producing poor results. I think a reduction in drinking/drugging in and of itself warrants some positive appraisal. In your case, you have found complete abstinence to be ideal. I wish you continued success in your plight to completely abstain and better your life.

JeffreyREBT "Wherein I don't promise to make you rich without trying, or even trying very hard; I do promise to say things that will make you FEEL rich."