View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: odds people - what are the chances of this happening?

[ QUOTE ]
Once you hit your flush on the flop, you have to worry about a fourth spade showing up on the board and causing you to lose to a hand with a higher spade. A large bet will look like a player with AJ or JJ or something, trying to discourage straight or flush drawers. It won't look like a flush, because most people who play suited cards preflop, play higher ones and would want everyone to stay in.

Therefore, your large bet is likely to be called by the hands you can beat, straights and high two-pairs or sets. If anyone raises you, she is highly likely to have a higher flush, so you can quit gracefully.

A low bet allows the hands that can outdraw you to stay in, without paying you much for the chance to beat you.

The trouble with playing small suited cards is exactly this, when you do hit, you can't make much money, and you lose too often.

Low connectors are different. The nice thing about them is when they hit, people don't expect them, and they aren't dominated by higher connectors. Like low suited cards, they also benefit from surprise when you get three of a kind or two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if they we're drawing with the 4flush i wasn't giving them proper odds to do so. if a 4th spade hit then i would toss the hand faster than all getout. just was surprised to see not one, but two overflushes.

i appreciate the time you've taken to reply to this thread.

your thoughts are very well communicated and have plenty of reason and logic behind them.