View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: What\'s your typical pre-flop line with AK facing a min-raise behin

[ QUOTE ]
Calling then check/folding no ace or king feels too weak overall but thats often the no-read line I'm taking OOP here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what several of the other posters have said, to call and see a flop.

But I don't agree with your point of check/fold on a blank flop as being weak. If the flop is rags, then the only hands that your AK likely has any value against are something like AQ, KQ, etc. Is your opponent the kind of player who will reraise with a hand like these, or something less?

A lot depends on the size of the pot and the size of the opponents bet, if he bets when you check. If the flop is rags, you have three options, semi-bluff open bet, check and fold on a bet, and semi-bluff check-raise on a bet.

IMHO, AK is one of the more overplayed hands on the flop, especially out of position.

I'm probably calling preflop, and then check-folding on an empty flop. If I catch an Ace or King, then whether I bet and how much I bet, or whether I check-raise, or check-call, is dependent upon the opponent, the size of the pot and the content of the rest of the flop.

This is a kind of situation where I'm probably looking to get out cheap if the flop misses me, or if the flop hits me with something like A or K and rag-rag then I probably figure to be ahead and need to try to extract as many chips from the opponent as possible.

As with everything else, I would hopefully not have a "typical" line with AK or any other EP hand. I'll sometimes call (rarely/situational), but will usually raise if first in. However, I won't raise the same amount with that hand every time. I'll vary it a little, up or down, to give the opponents something else to think about.