View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: ($33) neg ROI help continued: QQ w/ Kxx

I dunno why everyone in this thread is talking about preflop. The flop and turn are much more interesting & important IMO. That said I'm not sure what you should do.

One thought is to make a bigger bet on the flop to encourage your opponents to fold a Ten and to tip their hand if they have a King. If you bet 180, I think the shortish guy in the middle is more likely to decide that there's enough in there for him if he does indeed have a King. You also look more committed when you bet more so it's harder for your opponents to bluff/semi-bluff raise you.

The way you played it I think you have to give serious thought to calling the turn. You weakish flop bet combined with the turn check really don't look like a King, and your short-stacked opponent really needs this huge (relative to his stack) pot. I think he probably has a King but he might also be making a move with something like AT or JJ, and you are getting a bit better than 2:1.

I think a big problem in general is that when you bet the flop you will often be beat when you're called, but you will also often be called by a weaker made hand or a draw. Yet you can't really bet again on the turn unless you catch a Queen or maybe a heart/straight draw, and when you check the turn, you tip your weakness, give free cards to draws, and encourage a weaker hand to take a shot at you when you probably can't call.

Perhaps it is better to cut your losses on the flop and check/fold? If it is checked around, you can bet the turn. draws will have harder time calling, and your opponents won't necessarily know you're weak as you might have been going for a c-r on the flop. yes it's not a great flop for a c-r but many of your opponents will still go for one on a flop like this, so since people generally think other people play like them, they won't discount this possibility as much as you might.