View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Over use of the slowplay

I think you are on the money here Sarsen. I am fairly new to the game but have found that slowplaying is not often a tactic that pays off (I am only playing at .05/.10).

The are two main things I have found by increasing my aggression in the right situations. One is that there are plenty of fish who will call raises, even on the turn and river, with crappy hands. Also I find myself taking down more medium sized pots when people fold in the face of my aggression, and this appears to be helping my winrate. I will be getting PT (and PA HUD) shortly after Christmas which will allow me to analyze this better, but I don't feel at the moment like I have just been running better than average. I have certainly had a below average VPIP of late.

With the range of junk that some people play at micro tables it is hard to know when you slowplay just what cards might improve your opponents hands. The extra suckout risk becomes very hard to factor in. I also find that when I flop a good hand on a very ragged board if I think "the board is so ragged I'll risk giving a free card and hopefully extract some BBs on the turn (and maybe the river)", I find people often just folding where I might have got a couple of extra SBs out of them on the flop. There are a few reasons I can think of why this is so, one of them being that your opponents feel less committed to the pot, and the pot is smaller than what it might have been had I have been more aggressive on the flop.

I'm not sure when to expect (limit wise) that this will change, but where I am at the moment slowplaying rarely seems like a good way to go.