View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: ... so I took my ball and went home - 88

[ QUOTE ]
1) In the actual hand it is checked to you on the river, is this worth a bet? Or is there no value because nothing you beat is going to call?

2) It was said if SB bet a non-scary river and MP folded several would call. What if SB checked and MP bet, are you folding because SB is still to act _so your not closing the action) and MP is not as LAG as SB according to your read.

[/ QUOTE ]
1. Getting a nine makes things much worse and totally rules out a river bet IMO. It's exactly the sort of card that beats you but doesn't trigger a bet by the opponents. It can actually have the opposite effect of persuading a potential bluffer to just check and see if his 9x is good.

Anyway I didn't intend to bet in any case.

2. Certainly SB betting a blank and MP folding is the best case and I always reconsider situations like this before actually folding. Your judgment is often clearer after you see the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and MP has folded. Generic judgments made on the turn often overlook extenuating details that come up later. Still I'm looking for a parlay here:

A. SB must be willing to bluff two people despite signs that I'm turtling with an underpair to the ace and won't fold.

B. SB must have a losing hand and the whole point of the deal is often he won't.

Also there is a big problem recognizing blanks on this board. I mentioned the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] because another poster gave it as an example of an obvious blank, but actually it's a death card that gives MP the nuts.