View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: So my illegal cashout worked, now what...?

When dealing with corporations and support departments, remember:

"Never suspect malicious intent where mere incompetence will do."

It doesn't quite apply exactly here, but it's a great quote, and the sentiment applies. . . If they are asking you to update your address so that your credit card address matches your current address, that's almost certainly all they're asking for. They're probably not looking for your age or a way to whack you at all. If the were, they would not have let the $2000 out. They're just doing their due diligence in making sure their credit card record keeping is accurate so that they don't give credit card scammers an easy ride on their system. In effect, they're protecting YOU. (Just wait until you have a credit card stolen! It sucks.)

I'd give them your address. I deal with such requests all the time: I use a bill payment service (paytrust.com) which redirects my incoming bills to a centralized location in another state. They scan my bills; I access them online and set up autmoated payments. This means my billing address for most credit cards is not the same as my home address, which often confuses vendors. C'est la vie.

So I say, if they're just asking for an address update, update your address. If they need proof of address faxed in, find (or come up with) something that shows your address but not your age. For example, fax them a copy of your credit card statement with your current name and address. That should do, and it won't show your age, and it should satisfy them. Excess paranoia is generally unwarranted; it just makes you lose sleep and spend too many hours on forums debating what is probably a non-issue.

Of course, I could be wrong.