View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Hand from Bellagion 5 Diamond

[ QUOTE ]
I think her line, especially given the image she had, was really great. Perhaps she too was setting the stage for a play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. Most of the players in these events, who end up at my table for any length of time, end up basing their long term strategy around a way to take advantage of my seemingly reckless play. I usually can dodge the bullets and use it against them. However, JJ clearly got the best of me here. Her flop bet definitely was made with the intention of disguising the strength of her hand. She knows that she is getting something with her hand, if she checks behind, she knows that I will lead the turn, I rarely check it twice, so her having that hand while I am in the hand has inherent value, she however, was able to induce me to take over the business of controlling the size of the pot, by making the seemingly weak looking flop bet. I read the bet correctly, that she was "relatively" strong, and acted accordingly. With my read, that she may have well implanted, I knew that getting her off of the hand would be relatively easily done, if I could gain control of the pot. Once that happened, JJ was able to let me do all of her dirty work. Clearly her flop bet was engineered to get me to put alot more chips in than I would otherwise had she checked behind on the flop.

I'll bet she didn't think that I would be foolish enough to put as many as I did though. Probably make her alot more careful about the spots that she picks when involved with me. Doesn't matter how much you think a player is bluffing, when first place equals a new lifestyle for most people and the current spot can just catch most up on their late bills, calling that bet takes alot of courage without a very strong holding, even if the player in question induced me to make the "obvious" bluff.

As I was helping her stack her newly acquired million chips, I complemented her on her play, and mentioned that I had yet to give all of my chips to a nicer person. She was very graceful after the hand was over, and maybe even felt a little bad about me losing so many chips. I made certain that she knew that I really felt as if she deserved the chips, for her well thought out play. There is nothing bad that can be said of this woman, and she definitely deserves all of the good things that came together in this tournament for her. I would definitely enjoy playing HU with her, although, with my newly revised read of her thinking, she may find it quite a bit more difficult to get the chips from me.