View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 12:44 AM

Default ($16) Flopped big draw out of position

So okay, I was wondering about the line I took with this hand.

Pokerstars Turbo, blinds are 15/30. Full table, no reads.

Hero is in SB (t1530) with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG thru MP folds, MP2 limps, CO limps, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

The flop is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Pot is (120)

Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 bets 120, CO folds, Hero folds.

So here is my thinking, couple people limp PF, I wanna see if I can hit the flop and stack one of them. I complete, and flop a decent draw.

So at this point as being first to act and having no information I can either check or bet. Now the purpose of betting here is to generate folds and build the pot for when I hit my hand. I however, think betting at this pot is not a good idea since the A hit and it is very possible that either of the limpers hold something like A9-AJ. If they cannot fold those hands than I have lost fold equity and betting here would only builds a pot that I am most likely to lose. Also if one of them holds AJ than they could very likely re-raise me forcing me to either let my hand go or 3-bet all in and hope they fold or I hit my draw when they call.

So betting is out, now I could also check. Checking here allows me to get more information about my opponents hands and I can make another decision when it gets back to me. I do not think I can c/r here due to the size of the pot in comparison to my stack since. The pot size would force me to c/r a large % of my stack but not all of it (unless I wanted to massively overbet) and if I get called I would be forced to lead a turn (probably just a push) which may or may not hit me.

So if betting is out of the question and check raising is also not optimal than I am left with check-calling. This forces the drivers seat of my posession and into Villain's. I cannot call a pot sized bet on the flop due to the lack of implied odds for when I hit on the turn and the need for stack preservation in SNG's. So I check/folded to the pot sized bet.

I dunno, is my thinking flawed here?