View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Estimating opponent call ranges

[ QUOTE ]
When you find the magic formula, please let us all know.

I don't mean to be a prick. You can use available tools to determine theoretically correct pushing and calling ranges given stack sizes, blinds, payout structure, etc. But, only experience is going to tell you how real players deviate from the correct ranges. And, as I am discovering (much to my dismay), it's not nearly good enough to generalize for a buy-in level -- you really need to watch and see how individual players are playing. It would be a whole lot easier if the generalizations were enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks zabt. You didn't come across as a prick at all... in fact I think you gave me the answer. I thought there was something I wasn't getting, that is obvious to all the other 2+2ers. Looks like it's just a matter of getting experience, paying attention, and developing a "feel" for what their call ranges are. I'll just keep reviewing hand histories and adjusting my assumptions here and there and hope my play improves accordingly.

It's really hard to estimate an entire range for a player based on a couple showdowns, but I guess that's really the best anyone can do. Thanks for the reply.