View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: You are welcome to rejoin civilization

[ QUOTE ]
I'm doing a search right now, but unless I'm mistaken, we do have regulations against imprisoning and torturing foreign nationals without any kind of conviction or recourse against the charges levied against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Search no further. I found it for you - and herein lies the problem.

We've tied our own hands behind our back when it comes to doing what is necessary to protect this country. The notion that the government is going to come to your house and drag you in to torture you for information on terrorist activities is absurd. Do you really think these people were arrested when a friendly game of checkers in some underground bunker somewhere in Iraq was raided?

I fully support an accused US citizen's right to due process and protection from government sanctioned cruelty; however, I also fully support authorized, trained anti-terrorist personnel torturing suspected foreign terrorists for information necessary to protect this country.

With the power also comes the responsibility, so naturally an agent or agency should be held responsible if a subject is tortured unnecessarily. The system will regulate itself. You will not see the construction of torture centers overflowing with suspects because no one is going to arrest and torture everyone they see wearing a turban if they know that they can be held accountable for torturing an innocent person and coming up empty.