View Single Post
Old 11-21-2003, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Test your intuition (three handed SNG play)

Good problem.

<font color="purple">1) Which stack sizes for you (bb) and him (sb) should you be tightest with? Loosest?</font>

You would expect your opponent to be tightest when he has the 3K stack -- he won't want to risk busting out 3rd when he might get 2nd just by waiting. Thus when your opponent moves in when he had the 3K stack, he's probably got a good hand so you should be tight in your calling requirements (whether your stack is 2K or 5K).

Be loosest when your opponent has 2K and you have 5K. Now your opponent is forced to play ultra-aggressively for fear of being blinded off, so he doesn't need much of a hand. Plus you're getting 5:3 pot odds and you won't bust out of the tourney if you lose.

<font color="purple">2) How tight should you be?</font>

Intuitively I'd say that if your opponent has the 2K stack and yours is 5K, you can call with 2/3 of your hands (playing loosest). At your tightest, you'd probably call with 1/5 of your hands.

<font color="purple">3) Should you be tighter when you out chip him or when he out chips you?</font>

When he outchips you.

I won't attempt question four since I don't quite understand it.

<font color="purple">5) Suppose you are twice as good as the other two players, how do things change (vs. all three equal)? (I have a mathematical definition of "twice as good", but you are welcome to use any definition you like, as long as you state it.)</font>

Conventional wisdom is you call the all-in less (i.e. play tighter) if you are better. However, with blinds this high relative to stack size that should not be a big factor. In fact it would only be a factor at all if there's the possibility of getting action past the flop on future hands, which seems unlikely. So I'll say that it makes virtually no difference that you are twice as good as the other players.