View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Raising flop or wait for the turn-a tangent

[ QUOTE ]

...you would really like to get people with an overcard or something to fold, and hopefully people with weak gutshots fold (thus making a mistake).

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit to add: This is more of a general post, not just this hand specifically.

I see this a lot during arguments about raising the flop or waiting until the turn. The case for raising the flop when it won't decrease pot odds to the point where opponents call incorrectly is usually argued by saying something along the lines of "give them a chance to fold incorrectly." The problem with this is most small stakes hold'em players don't fold whether it is correct or not! They call whether the pot odds are with them or against them. So raising the flop hoping to get them to do something that they don't normally do is pointless, they are going to call and it just so happens it is still correct for them to do so in this spot. A raise on the flop makes them chose two options, one good for you and one bad for you, with the one bad for you something they do the vast majority of the time. However, waiting until the turn to see if a safe card comes will make them chose two options that are both good for you. I know the subject of waiting until the turn has been covered in numerous poker books, but I just wanted to reiterate it.