View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Is pro poker right for me? [LONG]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your response. As I mentioned in my response to Zen, I don't expect to have too much in the way of financial pressure. If I really wanted to, I could take the year off and do nothing and still have enough money to get by, so even if I had to grind it out at the micros, I wouldn't be hurting for cash. Obviously I'd rather not do that, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey dude,
Good luck either way but looking at this paragraph I;m wondering about how much you;ve taken into account as far as living expenses go. Many people can make great livings playing online living off "mommy and daddy" but looking at your estimated income/savings plan in previous post you won;t be making a killing playing and paying for a place. Not that it's not livable, but compared to the potential you have according to your other posts, as far as academcins/career prospects go, your poker career would pale in comparison by far.

Good luck,
Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

That is assuming that I am paying rent+bills+car, etc. I estimate that I will be spending approximately $2000/month after I graduate and don't plan to get any outside help with that (parents, etc.) Currently, I am spending about $1000/month since I don't have any car expenses other than gas right now, and the $2k estimate includes more money for bills, more money for entertainment, household items, etc. I am also getting some money from scholarships that helps with my living costs right now, effectively lowereing them to about $800/month. Including my bankroll, I have about $25k right now, which will allow me to get by for quite a while, although maybe not a full year after graduation like I had guessed before. I expect to add to that throughout the next few months though.

I'm not considering this as a way to get rich quick or anything like that. I don't expect to make a killing. I do think that I could make enough to cover my monthly nut relatively easily, but as I've said before, it wouldn't be critical.

Also, regarding career options, I still plan to pursue a career in engineering, even if I decide to stop to play poker for a while. A big part of the decision of what I do after I graduate will hinge on how much more difficult it is to enter the job market as someone who graduated a year ago vs. someone who just graduated, and also how much more difficult it would be to get into a good grad school under the same circumstances. Unfortunately, I don't know what the differences are or where to learn about it.

Thanks for the input/concern!