View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: OT: A note about Bellagio ME hands

[ QUOTE ]
I guess you're right, I just wish that people who weren't sure would give a few more qualifiers when they give suggestions. Or maybe ask questions like, "Why wouldn't you do X?" I certainly wouldn't want to restrict novices from posting, I just wish that they'd realize they are novices.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think:

The nature of both poker and of internet forums tends to make those of us who know less feel the need to posture as if we know just as much. In poker, this phenomenon allows the knowledgable to make money. So long as this phenomenon exists, the knowledgeable should be happy. We novices are well aware of our status, but if we're going to take flak for our idiocy, we may as well be bold.

[ QUOTE ]
meh I was thinking of making a post along the same lines. iunno, a lot of people learn from posting their garbage and having others tear it apart, so its not terrible. The key is just knowing who to listen to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I fit this description. The best way for me to learn is to actively participate in discussion. It is too easy for me to just read along and change my opinions. There's no way for me to track my progress. Certainly, the surest way to get a response to one's ideas is to post something so catastrophically inane that someone who knows more has to respond.

Ultimately though, by posting one's views as a "novice", I feel like I work against the tacit forum hierarchy, and I give myself a chance to get better. I am honored when the cognoscenti deign to respond- I don't even mind when they flame me at the same time. Although I've noticed the best of them aren't concerned about making me aware of my novice status...just with correcting my misconceptions.

-D.