View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: When is a nut peddler not a nut peddler?

[ QUOTE ]
You are representing AK here at the least, and he is telling you that he can beat one pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he? I can think of a number of hands that would raise PF and then fire a bet on this flop, if only to see where they are - any PP TT+, AQ, AJ, etc. The raise *could* be an attempt to snap off a C/B with any K.

That being said, I came very close to folding at this hand, just for the reasons you mentioned. A 1.5 post-flop AF, combined with only a 20% WSD tends to indicate that he'd only raise with a "real" hand - something that beats a pair of Kings (and Aces).

Insead I called, intending to fold he turn UI. Results:

($91.50) Turn <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero checks, CO checks [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

($91.50) River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, CO bets $45, Hero calls

CO has 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the flush

I called this river mostly out of confussion. I just couldn't figure out what kind of hand villain would play this way. It seamed VERY unlikely that villain would raise with just a flush draw. It also seemed unlikely that if he had flopped a set, he'd check behind on the turn when he filled up. My best guess at the time was he had JJ or QQ and decided I didn't have a K.

I wonder if I could have avoided this mess by 3-betting the flop (something i considered) since it was pretty likely villain would fold almost everything but KK. I also wonder if it would have been worthwhile to attempt to bluff this river, since I had the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], although that would probably not have worked.