View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Stop\'n\'go - terrible, or good move?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good mother of God. Seeing that hand was like seeing my grandmother naked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could use more constructive critique than that. Please tell me why it's such a bad move - at the time I though it was good. I thought I had a good chance to push him of the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is why this is one of the worst plays in poker you can possibly make. You are giving your opponent more information (3 free cards!) in which to make a correct decision.

There are only two situations that I can think of where you want to do this:
1. You have the nuts, and you want your opponent to make second best hand (basically slowplaying the flop and turn).
2. You are committed to playing the hand for all your chips, you have no preflop fold equity, you are up against one opponent, you are first to act on the flop, and you think you probably have the worst hand preflop (a traditional stop and go).

The critical element that you are missing is that you do have preflop fold equity (villian min-raised, so he could be on a steal). The second element missing is that you should not be committed to playing this hand for all your chips.

Basically, what you have going for this hand are the most superficial aspects of the stop-and-go: you are first to act on the flop, and you have one opponent. The most critical elements of the stop and go are missing. Just because you can do a stop and go doesn't mean you should.