View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Calling one in the BB with PP

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, here we get into the mechanics of HU play which I'm not good at (yet) (like many beginners). May be another good reason to fold preflop if one is honest about their own skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But you'll have to start playing in these situations at some point if you want to maximize your winnings. Pocket pairs can be pretty strong heads up if they survive the flop.

I have been known to fold some lower pairs out of the BB when heads up against a particularly tight EP raiser, usually 22-55 or thereabouts. But I generally like to play in these situations. It helps to know your opponents postflop tendencies, if I have a good read I'm a lot more likely to play even the lower pairs.

As Absolute Luck said, you've also got to mix up your play, and should be playing aggressively sometimes when you don't hit your set as well as when you do. Ragged boards are obviously good for these.

Go through your history and find some hands that may have bothered you in this situation and post em up.

I'm not saying just to jump in, but you're probably passing up on some profitable situations if you fold 77 or 88 out of the BB heads up every time it is raised in EP.