View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: flopped trips - any escape from the donk?

Thanks. Good of you to respond.
Apart from the obvious frustration, the main reason I popsted the hand was to answer two questions about MTTs. I do quite well on WH cash games and have won a few tournies so I can't complain about the players on WH. I'm no poker god so if I can turn a profit, then it suits me. I got battered on poker star...
Anyway, the questions this raises are:
1. Playing medium pairs. The consensus here is check or fold pre-flop early doors, which I've taken on board. I was sensitive to the weak raise having busted out to AA twice already last nigth when called/min-raised UTG. On both occasions I checked JJ/QQ (suspecting aces)and then made a move when the flop was also checked so I was keen to find out where I stood in this case. However, 99 isn't a hand to fall in love with so it was unecessary - I wouldn't be moving a lot of chips in unless it improved.
2. Protecting hands. In a similar situation in a cash game, you protect the nut hand which is vulnerable to two draws, you fire big bets to make the draw expensive and, anyway, you can hope that the board pairs at the same time as completing their draw. I've had my fingers burned with this strategy in MTTs and I wonder what the plan is (assuming you've called the mini-raise and flopped the nuts)?