View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Chart - EV of Calling on the River... (is folding as bad as we thi

[ QUOTE ]

Calling on the river with marginal hands was one of those ideas. Two years ago, the Small Stakes Forum (there was no Microlimit or MHSH or SSSH or whatever) was full of people who thought the key to winning limit hold 'em was finding the right spot to lay down top pair. And for them, the right spot was basically any time they got raised.

I'm really not kidding. Often they didn't even have to get raised to fold. If the flop got bet and called, their A7 on an A94 board was going straight in the mucker even if they had the button, even if the pot had ten bets in it, and even if the bettor was kinda crazy. Get raised on the turn? Top pair is auto-mucked. Flush comes on the river and a new person bets? Auto-muck.

In large part, some of my writings in SSH were designed specifically to counteract those ideas. I was writing to people who were folding way way too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. I also think you did a brilliant job swinging the pendulum. And I also think great players understand what you meant by "folding the river for 1 more bet" given the metagame context the book was written in.

Krishan