View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 06:59 AM

Default Re: The Official XCOM Thread

It has a pretty satisfying depth to it, but what still strikes me all these years after it first came out is how vivid the battles were, and that even though they are turn-based. They're much more absorbing than the usual turn-based game, because the combat model is so perfectly designed. At every moment you're wondering if some small movement will make one or a handful of aliens suddenly show themselves and open fire on you at once. It's really spooky.

The game is honestly frightening at times. Lots of fans talk about jumping out of their chairs when seeing certain aliens and the panic that ensues, and it's one of the very few games I can say actually gave me a scare, and quite a few times too.. I still remember parts of battles after all this time, they were so intense.

One of my favorite things is to get the game going for a while and have a bunch of battles saved right before they begin. The game randomizes battles -- scenery, lay-out, aliens, etc. So if you have a game or two saved, you can step right into a great battle at any time. They're still good even after you've beaten them, because they'll be randomized and still new to you.