Thread: Stupid Laws
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Stupid Laws

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, society gets to make that decision. Just like society makes the decision that you can't own a nuclear weapon, on a smaller scale, they decide that you can't bring a gun onto an airplane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does "society" care what happens on private property? Even if "society" does care, what gives "society" a right to dictate what happens on private property?

Do you see any difference between a nuclear weapon and a gun? It's not just a matter of scale. Firearms can be pinpointed to direct force at individual aggressors. Nuclear weapons cannot.

[ QUOTE ]
There is a significant risk with you bringing a gun onto a plane, as well as drinking & driving. Significant enough so that the case can (and has) been made that the utility you get by doing those things does not outweigh the utility everyone else gets by prohibiting you from doing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Utility? My neighbor has a car in his garage that he never drives. He doesn't even like it. I would drive it every day. Therefore, it must be right and justifiable for me to take the car from him.

A big gang of thugs finds pleasure in lynching redheads. A LOT of pleasure. In fact, they get the most pleasure when they do so to really old redheads, and when they do so in a painless manner. It's so much pleasure for such a large group, they surely get more utility out of the lynchings than the redhead loses.