View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Re: ZeeJustin: A Case Study

[ QUOTE ]
If you're approaching it mathematically with the goal of making as much money as possible within the time you're willing to commit while not going broke, then I think it's a poor approach to do what you're doing. What you need to do is figure out where you're most profitable. For me, I've found it to be STTs on Party. I can 8 table them and maintain almost the same ROI as I achieve when I used to 2 table them. On the other hand, I'm a net loser in MTTs (doesn't necessarily say much, I haven't played that many) and I'm a streaky cash games player at any reasonable limit. Therefore, I play STTs when I want to make money playing poker because it's where I can make the most per hour and be fairly confident I'll never go broke. I play well below my bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very important concept that I think a lot of winning players either don't think about, or just don't apply enough.

I sure know that I was a fulltime pro for quite some time before I REALLY started thinking about this in a productive way, and i'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one.

Its really pretty simple. you just have to think about how much you expect to make per table hour of each different type of game, and how conducive that game is to multitabling.

For example, when i multitabled LHE, I had to decide whether to play 10/20 6m, or 15/30 full ring. I figured that 15/30 was about $30 per table hour (approx 1.5 BB/100). And 10/20 was about $40 per table hour (2 BB/100). however, I could only play 4-5 tables of 6max, vs. 6-8 of fullring, so my $$/hr was $180-240 vs. $160-200 in favor of 15/30. So it seemed that playing 15/30 was the clear choice.

however, after a few months it became clear that another factor was much more important if the EVs are close. Enjoying a game more is HUGE. its so much easier to log hours, and much easier to be constantly improving when you genuinely love to play. The long term benefits of this are quite obvious.

Another factor which is also very key is availability of larger games. When I first started playing I was a NL player, but I switched over to LHE b/c at the time Party had TONS of 15/30 LHE games, and very few decent sized NLHE cash games. And ironically, the newer large NL games (along with the fact that party's 30/60 is TOUGH) are the reason i've switched back to NLHE primarily. Also, its the main thing I don't like about STTs. Above $215's don't run all the time, and from what i've heard the competition is VERY, VERY tough in them. Thankfully MTTs have sats, so even in a 10k WPT event, I can be confident that i'll have +EV.

I know a lot of the $$ per table hour stuff sounds really trivial, and stupid, but I honestly believe that it is one of the more underrated attributes of maximizing earn. And, IMO, its also why GOOD WR and variance threads can be very helpful if a lot of expierienced, winning players contribute.