View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: 5/10: QJ gets in big pot, rivers trips, gets donked

RunDownHouse,

Weird hand. I can't think of a hand that I like BB's play for.

The flop bet is good if it will clear out gutshots that will be made by you spiking a pair (JT, QT) or hands that have you reverse dominated. In a pot this large, I don't think it will, but it's not terrible to throw a bet out there and see what happens. Another possible benefit would be to fold out button, giving you position for the rest of the hand. Worst case scenario is that BB checkraises, indicating a very strong draw or a monster like KK. But I don't think he'll do this very often as it would be pretty optimistic of him for you or button to bet this flop often enough to justify going for the C/R. SB is more likely to checkraise as he expects BB to bet the flop, but from your description he doesn't seem to be the type to pull this move very often. Lastly, if Button raises your bet, it's not an absolute disaster as it will knock out the aforementioned hands, especially if he will do this with flush draws (so your pair outs are live) or with 2nd pair. However, from your description of him he doesn't seem likely to do these either, and a raise is a remote possibility, and furthermore, would likely clarify the situation and allow you to check/fold the turn unimproved.

I don't really like a raise on the river. Looks like a win one lose two situation to me.