View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: to live or not to live (the lesser of two evils)--kind of long

first off, excuse my bad english. it's not my native tongue and i used some words in this post i never even heard before...

my granddad had a light stroke 12 years ago. from then on his mind started to disintegrate. 8 years ago there were days where he wouldn't recognize me or other family members and he started to lose control of his body. he became more and more apathetic. 5 years ago you could hardly talk to him about the weather, -except for some rare good days. he was a strong nursing case at this time, laying in bed almost all day. the last 3 years i have only heard grunting noises from him. sometimes he realised when someone entered the room, but most of the time not. we tried to take care of him at home as long as we could, but 2 years ago he came into nursing home. he died last summer with 91 years.

while his mind was gone, his organs were healthy all the time. no plugs to pull. it was hard to see what a strong man like my grandad could become...

i am young and i know it is easy to say something like that now, but i don't want my life to end this way. and in case my life will be depending on some machines, with no hope to become worth living again, i really hope whoever has to decide will have the courage to pull the plug.