Thread: Stupid Laws
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Stupid Laws

[ QUOTE ]
#3 laws are for protecting people from other people -- and I like them very much. I want it to be illegal for YOU to get drunk & drive & significantly increase the risk that you will kill me & my family. I want it to be illegal for you to bring a loaded gun on a plane, where who knows what you might do with it

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, fair point, I may well have overstated the objection to type 3 laws in my initial rant. I think the judge here is utility. There is no valid utilty in attaching a rocket launcher to your truck, even though someone could potentially do so and never cause any detriment to society. I have no problem with that being illegal because there's both a lack of valid utility and a potential for harm. Both of those things apply to drunk driving and carrying guns on planes also.

But there are a whole host of laws for which there is valid utility, just the potential for harm bit. Gun ownership is one of these, and though I hate guns and would never own one, murder is already illegal and guns have a valid utility, thats enough.

I can use my hands to beat the crap out of someone, or at least I could if I wasn't a wuss - are they going to introduce a law which dictates I have to wear oversized novelty wool mittens when leaving the house?