Thread: betting rhythms
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: betting rhythms

I think what we're talking about is a little different than this. It kind of goes past hand reading (in the deductive reasoning sort of way) and into reading your opponent in the psychological sense.

The rhythms I think we're talking about is that when people think to themselves: Ok, this time I'm gonna defend my blinds and win. They automatically check/call the flop, then c/r the turn and put in an unlimited # of extra raises. This is probably because they want to make a stand since they've folded too many times prior.

To be able to identify and stay one step ahead of your opponent with respect to these "rhythms" is a sort of mind game. For example, lets take a simple game like rock-papers-scissors. Many people would say this is a random game, and it is true to a good degree. But the example I want to talk about is when two people both go scissors for a couple turns in a row. Then it becomes a sort of mind game, do we keep going scissors? I think he thinks I will go scissors again so I should go paper to win vs his rock, etc. Now granted, this game is truly almost random because of its simplicity (= lack of information to act on) and its fast paced nature. But you get the point of playing mind games with your opponent.

So in short, these things have to do with reading your opponent in a psychological sense. They don't belong in single isolated hand posts, because they are more of a metagame consideration. This may be why certain pros are better than us, because they are very good at this sort of thing. I don't know if theres much we can do to improve on in this area, except be observant and get more experience.