View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Overcall with the 2nd Nuts?

If there was a limper in front of you, I'm okay limping, but if I'm opening I will generally do so for a raise. My thinking is this: if one limper was enough to encourage over-limping, then the saw flop percentage would be higher than 30-35%, as such a table will often have an EP/MP limper.

Postflop, I think raising either street is just dumb. On the flop you have three potential overcallers. This means that you will probably have an overcaller on the turn and possibly even all the way to showdown. That's a ton of dead money. On the other hand, raising may get 2 SB out of one person, two if you're lucky, but it hurts your expectation on the big streets by simultaneously thinning and alarming the field. Furthermore, raising the flop does not take away the odds for the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or a set, and probably won't get either to fold incorrectly.

On the turn you still can't put the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or a set to a lose-lose decision, you can't earn any more money from the bettor, and you still have multiple potential cold-callers. Furthermore, if one of them has a queen or a pair to go with the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], then you will probably get another bet on the river if they never have to call a raise.

Scott