Thread: AK in SB
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: AK in SB

My vote is for push preflop. My reasoning below.

1. Calling: The pot is already big, and you will have a very difficult time playing this OOP if your hand misses the flop (which will happen 2 out of 3 times). If you call this, the pot will be 1300, and you will have 3900 in your hand and your opponent will have 1900 chips. You basically have two options if the flop misses your hand: all-in or check (you will probably fold to a bet if you check).

2. Reraising less than all-in: Even worse. Now you've made the pot bigger. You practically obligate yourself to push the flop.

3. Folding: not an option.

4. All-in: The great thing about AK is that you can push it in almost any situation without fear. You have a lot of folding equity, and if you get called, it's almost always a coin flip. The times that you are up against AA or KK are countered by the times you are up against AQ or AJ.

A push increases your stack by 900 chips. A push establishes you as someone who will protect his blinds (make certain you don't show your cards if he folds to your all-in, or you will have wasted that benefit). If he calls, you have a great chance of doubling up.

The button has raised 3Xbb. If you are worried about AA or KK here, then you are weak-tight.

The best way to play AK is to use it as a club, when the situation is favorable. The worst way to play AK is to play it in such a way that you have to hit the flop in order to make it profitable.

EDIT: Just noticed that the OP is in the SB and not the BB. Doesn't change my opinion in any way.