Thread: thread locking
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: thread locking

Hi all,

I think the major point is this:

As moderators, our job is going to make sure that we:

1. Maintain the highest level of interesting, enlightening, and energetic strategy discussion we can. This, generally speaking, involves keeping the largest number of interesting "hands post" and interesting, specific strategy questions on the first page of the board.

2. Help to answer more straightforward questions (which are certainly welcome here) to be answered efficiently. This means, for example, directing players with statistical questions to the CMI stats post, which, in my opinion, is still far and away the best answer that can be given to 95% of posts concerning playing statistics.

3. To make sure that discussion remains on topic and does not become personal or devolve into flame wars. One of the major problems with certain types of posts (not necessarily stats posts, but posts of the "I just can't seem to beat this game" or "they keep calling with anything how high do I have to play to get them to respect my raises") is that they tend to only encourage negative discussion. Playful insults are fine, though I really don't like seeing flame wars and I really don't like the ideas of new members of the forum with naive questions always getting discouraged because they get negative responses here.

4. To make sure the content on the board is inoffensive and appropriate, both from a general social point of view (no racist or otherwise ignorant comments) and a 2+2 point of view (no discussion of affiliates where inappropriate, no discussion of things of vague legality like poker bots, etc...)

So, with that in mind, the threads that are subject to locking by myself or any of the other SS mods are threads that are particularly threatening to any of those four goals, viz:

1. Threads that are extremely unlikely to generate ANY interesting discussion, can be best answered by a single link, and should not take up spots from more valid threads.

2. Threads that are particularly likely to only generate negative responses, and particularly any thread that already has become a flame war. (I'm not opposed to the idea of locking good strategy threads that have become flame wars and reopening them as new threads particularly for strategy discussion.)

3. Any thread where the OP contains offensive or inappropriate material.

-Will