View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: take home exam situation

[ QUOTE ]

If he had any clear evidence like in your example, he would have just sent e-mails to the the individuals involved that said something like, "Come into my office this afternoon, we need to talk."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes this is true, but in my case I also did it in a very similar way, even though I knew who cheated.

I think something you're neglecting is that honesty and integrity about what work you claim as your own is very important professionally (and usually idealistically) to academics. This sort of attitude is frequently something they wish to inspire. So while I think your interpretation that he's just trying to trick people into admitting they cheated is certainly possible, I think it's also possible that he knows that certain people cheated and is giving them a chance to step up and admit it. It is also much easier for him to dock your final exam score as he says than to fail you for academic dishonesty, even if you do confess, at least if this is like most university settings that I'm familiar with.