View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Kudos, but

[ QUOTE ]
The power of the jury is not in the intelligence or ability of a single member. It is the group dynamic that leads to good decision making. A single person (cop or other wise) brings his prejudices to the decision, the group dynamic attenuates the individual prejudices.

Cyrus was right in his "blunder" assessment -- IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, I understand synergy and group dynamics. And I wasn't trying to get Cyrus's (or yours, now) approval. I stand by my post. We seem to disagree, but that's not a rarity.

Ideally, the group will make the good/right decision. In real life, an extremely powerful personality can sometimes sway the group.

Yes, everyone brings a certain amount of prejudices/life experiences into any group. Given enough time, those will usually come out in some form. And the group will take that into consideration when making their decision. That's the process of juries. That's one of the reasons deliberations can last so long.

In passing... Twelve Angry Men is an outstanding movie about jury deliberations. There's another (I can't remember the title) based on a John Grisham book about someone manipulating a jury.