View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Tell Me About Being an Actuary

I am a junior in college, and am 9 credit hours short of getting a bachellors degree in actuarial science. Have you had a lot of statistics/probability? The first exam is on probability and it would be hard to get an actuarial job without atleast one exam past. From every thing I have heard it is a good job, and is always in the top 5 raked jobs. The pay is above average but nothing exceptional straight out of school, but if you pass all the exams you can make in the range of $300K. Ive heard the hours are roughly 40 per week, sometimes more, but you have to put in several hours a week outside of work to study for future exams. I am also majoring in economics with a finance minor, and have recently decided that I don't think I would enjoy working as an actuary for the next 40 years, and have decided to go to graduate school to get a Ph.D. in economics and become a professor. That is because of personal preferance, but comparing a job as an actuary to other office jobs, being an actuary is an excelent choice. I asked this same question a month or two ago and got a few responces here, so there are some actuaries in this board who might be able to help you understand the work life more.