View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Re: What good are we? As poker players, are we socially responsible?

Poker (if taken seriously) is about money. I dont check-rasie people because it helps put clothes needy children in the world, or put a turkey on Tiny Tim's table.

Its not my responsibility to make sure that people that have no personal impact in my life are taken care of. I do however, feel that it is my responsibility to help my friends and family, plus I still give to local charities and benefits, just because of:
A) socialogical obligation / guilt
B) Its may be a cause I feel passionately about.
C) It makes me selfishly feel better about myself (this is true with everyone, as it goes back to the Joey and Fibi's "there is no selfless act" episode)

Let's be honest, can anyone reading this right now honestly say that they wouldn't be annoyed if some phone-jockey called them up right now and asked for a donation to some random Charity?

Doing something beneficial to society is a personal decision, and considering that there is no handbook relating to how to live life (and dont you dare say the bible) this question really has no meaning at all. You want to feel better about yourself? Give yourself something besides money to show for your time? Go join the Red Cross, Im sure they could use you down south and you could probably still play online in your hotel...just make sure you are giving 0.5BB/100 to your favorite charity...or me, if you feel so inclined.