View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Best Skiing in Western US

Jackson has awesome terrain, no doubt, particularly with their open gates. well worth a guide for a few hours. the snow at Jackson is great as well.

Alta has comparable terrain, and even better snow. if you dislike hiking and/or have snowboarders in your crew, then avoid Alta. otherwise, the winter skiing at Alta might be the best in the USA.

My 3rd choice would be the Tahoe area, particularly if your trip is late in the season (March onward). Squaw is famous of course, but Alpine Meadows (same ridge as Squaw) and Kirkwood both have sick terrain. All 3 places get dumped on throughout the year, leaving a base big enough to hold up to the spring warmth/sunshine. You can even stay in South Lake and gamboool. Spring skiing at Tahoe is probably my favorite skiing in the world. see my picture (1st one) in the "Post a cool picture you've taken" thread, just a few down.

I've never been to Whistler, but from what I know the terrain is good. Snowfall is not as good as any of the above places, and it can rain. nightlife is outstanding.