View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Value bet vs induce bluff

I think that inducing a river bluff is much more difficult to do when a generic villain closes the action.

This is because he knows that he can just check behind and cut his losses, and will often do so if you've shown adequate interest throughout the hand. I know that I personally just about never bluff the river when I can just check through and move on.

When you're OOP on the river as in this hand, a value bet has two things going for it.
1)the river won't get checked through and your hand has some SD value
2)villain has the opportunity to incorrectly fold a hand that beats you, such as a paired eight.

Since this is a blind war though, you'll often bet here and he'll call with lots of ace high hands and lower pocket pairs. He'll call with hands that beat you as well, but he 'd be noteworthy if he raised with less than top pair.

In the future, if you want to induce a river bluff, wait until you are HU and in position. Then check through the turn with a hand that A)wont change much in value on the next card, and B)can call a bet on the river UI.

You'll be amazed at how often people fire with total snow when they think you've given up on the hand.