View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Bad bet on river? Flopped bottom two

first of all, i'll just ignore the preflop calling issue, i think the post-flop play is more important (just look at the sizes of bets on respective streets). but i wouldnt be surprised if most people fuss at you about it.

in any case, you've found yourself in a very nice situation on the flop. Bottom 2 on this board, in a raised pot, is a great flop. However, just calling a bet here is not great. In fact, its bad. If somebody has AK/AQ, they are now drawing to catch you (but, they don't know it). Raise this flop substantially, as many, many turn or river cards could be bad for you. Additionally, if villain has KK-JJ or some other pair, he's not going to pay you off much anyhow with the ace on the board. So raise the flop big.

Turn: the raise here is fine (although it should have come earlier) however, AT will now stack you, and AK/AQ/AJ might slow down some, as there are now more apparent hands that beat them.

River: given previous action, a river value bet here is fine, expect to get paid off by AK/AQ. Fold to a raise, obviously.